No applications are being accepted at this time.
- Applications for Scenic Byway/Backway designation or extension are not being accepted at this time. The forms may be filled out online, printed and mailed.
- The North Dakota Department of Transportation (NDDOT) Director's Task Force (DTF) will evaluate applications. The DTF meets and then formulates a recommendation, typically by August. The recommendation is then passed on to the director of the NDDOT who makes the final decision for designation. Evaluation of the scenic byway/backway applications will result in one of four possible recommendations:
- Scenic Byway Designation: Applies to corridors that satisfy the intrinsic quality requirements with an acceptable corridor management plan (CMP) and have an all-weather road surface suitable for all vehicles.
- Scenic Backway Designation: Applies to corridors that satisfy the intrinsic quality requirements with an acceptable corridor management plan (CMP), but have substandard design and safety features, and/or inadequate tourist amenities such as service stations, restrooms, interpretive areas.
- Denial with conditions: Applies to applications with incomplete information or that require corrective action to bring the corridor to a standard of minimum acceptance. Additional information would be required to make a final recommendation such as what corrective action is required for designation; an appropriate time frame would be established for a response to be considered.
- Denial: Applies to applications that are inconsistent with the goals of the North Dakota Scenic Byways Program. Reasons for denial will be communicated in writing.
- Applicants will be notified via email and letter as to the status of their application after the final decision is made. Once a byway/backway is designated, it will be added to the state highway map during the next printing cycle and featured on the North Dakota Parks and Recreation's web site. It will also be added to the next printing of the North Dakota Byways and Backways Information Guide.