About the department
The North Dakota Parks and Recreation Department is the state agency charged with administering selected parks and recreation areas that are deemed to have state-wide or regional significance.
In addition, the department has responsibility for the following functions:
- Off-highway vehicle planning and safety program
- Snowmobile safety programs and trails
- Nature Preserves Act
- Outdoor recreation grants and statewide recreation planning
- State Scenic Byways Program
The mission of the North Dakota Parks and Recreation Department is to provide and enhance outdoor recreation opportunities through diverse parks and programs that conserve the state's natural diversity.
A Department focused to:
- Create welcome, safe and accessible state parks and programs responsive to changing public trends to enhance North Dakota's quality of life;
- Provide quality customer service within the limits of appropriation authority;
- Maintain essential state park facilities and programs to ensure a quality recreation experience through a cost recovery fee system supporting resource operations and maintenance;
- Foster an appreciation and understanding of North Dakota's natural heritage through responsible public stewardship programs on park managed lands;
- Offer educational programs that emphasize the cultural, historical and conservation content contained within the park and recreation sites under agency management;
- Advocate a working environment that supports open communications for all staff;
- Support partnerships willing to achieve goals consistent with the Department mission;
- Establish processes that contribute to adequate and stable funding sources; emphasize the contribution to the tourism economy as supporting justification.
A Department committed to family focused experiences provided through a spirit of exemplary Customer Service enhancing North Dakota's Quality of Life. Continue dedicated, ethical and accountable public service in the delivery of programs and management of natural resources for the people and visitors to North Dakota.