nd.gov - The Official Portal for North Dakota State Government
North Dakota: Legendary. Follow the trail of legends
North Dakota Parks and Recreation Department

Frequently Asked Questions


How do I make a reservation? Reservations can be made online at the Online Reservation System or by calling 1-800-807-4723.  Call center hours are 7 am to 7 pm Central Time (effective 10/01/2013).

When can reservations be made? Campsites can be reserved 95 days in advance of arrival. (See the 95-day window calendar for the complete reservation schedule). Cabins, group facilities and shelters can be reserved one year in advance.

Is my credit card charged when I make the reservation? Yes, your credit card will be charged at the time of the reservation. Visa, MasterCard and Discover are accepted.

Is there a fee for reservations? A non-refundable fee is charged for each campsite or cabin that is reserved. See Reservation & Change Fees for more information.

What is the fee for cancellations? Cancellation fees are pro-rated depending on when the cancellation is requested. See Cancellation Fees for more information.

What are park fees used for? 100% of the entrance and camping fees are used to maintain and operate the North Dakota state park system.

Top >>


When are full services available? At most parks, the full services season runs from the weekend prior to Memorial weekend to the last Sunday in September. In the offseason contact the park directly for more information.

How many campers/tents are allowed on a single site? Single campsite occupancy is limited to one camping unit with up to six people per campsite. All wheeled equipment/vehicles must fit on the parking pad/area unless special management regulations of the facility allow parking along roads or grass adjacent to the campsite. There is limited additional parking in designated areas in or near the campground. If available, the owner may be required to park at a location away from the campground.

What is the maximum length of stay in a campground? Campsite and cabin occupancy is limited to no more than 14 days in any 30-day period. (Non recreating public is limited to three days. See policy here.)

Can I bring in my own firewood? Yes, but we ask that you keep out-of-state firewood at home. Firewood from another state may contain Emerald Ash Borer, which could be harmful to trees in this state. Firewood may be purchased at the park.

If I am towing a vehicle behind a motor home, do I need to purchase two vehicle permits? Motor homes towing a vehicle are considered a single vehicle and pay for one entrance permit. The entrance permit should be placed on the towed vehicle, if that vehicle is driven within the park. All other additional vehicles at a campsite or cabin will be charged day use fees for each day in the park.

What is a yurt? A yurt is a spherical structure that resembles a grain bin in its shape. It is canvas covered and is supported by a lattice wall and wood support beams with a clear dome on the top to view the night sky. Yurts are available year round at Cross Ranch and Lake Metigoshe state parks. More information can be found at Cabins, Shelters and Facilities.

Top >>


What positions are currently open? Current job listings can be found at NDPRD Employment.

Where can I find the job application? Applications can only be submitted online through the North Dakota Human Resource Management Services website. Paper applications are no longer accepted.

Top >>

Natural Resources

Where can I fish? North Dakota state parks offer many fishing opportunities. See Fishing in state parks for a list of fishing spots, fish species found in each park and facilities available.

Do you have a birding checklist? Birding checklists are available for Cross Ranch, Fort Ransom, Lake Metigoshe, Lake Sakakawea and Turtle River state parks. See birding in North Dakota for more information.

Top >>

OHVs and Snowmobiles

How do I register my snowmobile or OHV? The application for registration of each OHV or snowmobile is made by the North Dakota Department of Transportation at any licensing office statewide. See OHV laws and regulations and Snowmobile laws and regulations for more information.

Top >>


Is there a fee to enter a state park? Yes. All vehicles entering a state park must display a valid park entrance permit year-round. A daily vehicle permit is $5/day or an annual vehicle permit may be purchased for $25. North Dakota residents 65 and older are eligible to purchase an annual vehicle permit for $20.

Is horseback riding allowed in state parks? Horseback riding is allowed at Fort Ransom, Fort Abraham Lincoln, Sully Creek and Little Missouri state parks. For more information on fees and policies see Horseback riding.

Are pets allowed in state parks? Yes. Pets must be kept on a leash and attended at all times. Pet waste must be bagged and disposed of in an appropriate manner. Animals are not allowed on any designated swimming area, playgrounds, or in park buildings, including, but not limited to, cabins, dormitories and comfort stations, except for animals used to assist the disabled.

Do you have a trail guide for hiking or biking? The North Dakota State Trail Guide has information and maps pertaining to state parks trails as well as trails in state forests, recreation areas and nature areas. Additional information can be found at: ND hiking trails and ND biking trails.

How do I contact a park? Contact information for parks can be found on our contact us page.

Top >>